Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pumpkin-Apple Butter Waffles

I opened up a big can of pumpkin on Thursday to make Pumpkin Mini Loaves. Then I realized that I had to use the whole thing up, or risk forgetting about it in the freezer. So I made Pumpkin Rocks and this morning, Pumpkin-Apple Butter Waffles. I used smitten kitchen's Pumpkin Waffle recipe except after putting all the ingredients together, I realized I only had a 1/2 cup of pumpkin left. Instead of running out at 9:00 to go to the supermarket, I substituted a 1/2 cup of apple butter.
They turned out really good, just the right combination of fluffy and dense, with the spice of pumpkin pie. The apple butter didn't add too much flavor, it was mostly pumpkin; I figured it was the right consistency and wouldn't mess up the batter. My whole family ate them with plain greek yogurt and baklava filling (golden raisins, almonds, walnuts, honey, and spices) on top. The house is saturated in the smell of these delicous waffles- something I don't mind one bit.

No comments: